So why not to try Puffed PITA Pockets at home! And Voila!! Did it :) That too with 100% Whole Wheat Flour :) And with again giving more twist, I added Oregano Leaves as well as Red Chilli flakes to give the flavor Pita Bread :) :)
These lovely pockets can have with any kind of sandwich filling we want or with delicious Hummus
What is required to make this!
- 2 cups - Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp - Instant Yeast
- 1/2 cup - Warm Water (to prove the yeast)
- 1/2 cup - warm water (to knead the dough)
- 1 tsp - Sugar
- 1 tsp - Oregano Leaves
- 1 tsp - Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp - Olive oil
- 1 tsp - Salt
- In the warm water, add yeast and sugar. Keep it aside for frothing for 5-10 minutes or till the bubble rises.
- Mix the flour, chilli flakes, oregano leaves, salt and oil and add the frothed yeast mixture to this.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes adding water to it. We need chapati like dough.
- Grease the bowl and rotate dough from all sides. Cover it with Cling wrap and put it in the TURNED OFF oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Dough will be double in size.
- Make the balls and start rolling it!
- Preheat the oven at 450 F ( I made it in my small toaster oven)
- Put the pita on a slightly greasing tray for about 8-10 minutes till it fluffs or brown in color. Important is to get it fluff so that pockets are formed for filling. 2-3 of mines in the beginning didn't fluff properly!
Notes for perfect PUFFS:
- Roll it little thicker than chapatis
- Make sure oven is very HOT. Know your oven very well as I have done it in the small toaster oven which has temperature settings too.
How to make it!
- Take the pockets! Apply the Hummus on both sides.
- Put the falafel ball pieces into it.
- Then fill it with salad.
- Apply the hummus again! If want little spicy, then sprinkle some red chili flakes and it is ready to eat :) :)
Happy Cooking with Middle Eastern Platter :)