USA ma Das Khaman to ghar maj vase che :)
Below are the ingredients and method to make most delicious Khandvi. Make sure the measurements of Besan, Dahi and water should be perfect. Not less not more.
- 1 cup - besan (bengal gram flour)
- 1 cup - fresh curds (dahi) mixed with 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 to 3 - drops of lemon juice
- 2 tsp - ginger-green chilli paste (as per the taste)
- 1/4 tsp - turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
For The Garnish:
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Seive the besan properly. Combine the besan, curds-water mixture, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt in a deep non-stick pan and mix well to make a smooth batter (taking care that no lump remains).
- Cook on a high flame and when bubble start forming, keep it on medium flame while stirring continuously till it becomes thick (approx. 8 to 10 minutes).
- Grease a thali (approx. 10") on the reverse side using ¼ tsp of oil and spread a spoonful of the batter on a greased thali and wait for a few seconds and try to roll up. If it doesn't, then cook for a few more minutes, and check once more till done. Keep the flame on complete low. (If you are using aluminium foil, no need for the grease.)
- Divide the batter into two equal portions. While the batter is still hot, spread each portion evenly using a spatula, on the reverse greased side of 2 thalis evenly to make a thin uniform layer using a spatula (refer step 1).
- When cool, cut the khandvi on each thali lengthwise (approx. 1½" in width) into equal portions (as shown in the image) and roll up each gently (refer to step 2 and 3).
- For the tempering, just before serving heat the 2 tbsp oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, few drops of lime juice, sesame seeds, slit green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the khandvis.
- Serve immediately garnished with coconut and coriander.